Thursday 31 October 2013

Waiting without wandering... A life lesson.

http://graph.facebook.com/10152027155299497/picture
The billboard on Waiyaki way that had fallen, leading to heavy traffic snarl up on nearly all nearby routes.
So the other day I spent the better part of my morning hours on the road, on my way to work. Thanks to the humongous billboard that fell, blocking both roads from and to town respectively. Unfortunately, it happened to be on the highway I use daily to go to work. I first heard of the incident on radio while I was still in the house as I listened to traffic updates but I thought to myself that by the time am ready to leave, the traffic would have subsided or at least over but I was wrong.

First shock, I got to the stage and there were no matatus. The very few that were operating had raised the fare to like three times higher than the usual one. Some actually four times higher....and to make it worse, they were coming when they were so full. That meant you pay that much and stand at the same time. I stood at the stage for few minutes stranded and wondering what to do. Then a thought came to my mind to call some guy I know that operates a taxi near my office and who happens to use the same route as me. So I  decided to call and ask if he had passed, and yes he had but thankfully, he had only gone a few metres ahead from where I was. Off course I was forced to walk to meet him there because he had offered to wait for me and help out.

Finally I met the guy and yes the traffic was right there.... Drivers were being advised to use alternative routes to avoid the traffic and so just like most people, we did the same. We took presumably a better option (we thought) for where we were going but as usual, because everyone else was trying to avoid the traffic, the likelihood is, you all find yourselves that way.

That was the case for almost everyone. Drivers choosing to meander through the traffic back and forth as they looked for alternative routes to beat the traffic. Now our driver, he decided to take another longer route that made us go all round only hours later to come back to the very same route we were meant to take earlier which was a very short distance to our destination. I thought to myself, what if  we had decided to just stay on the highway and hopefully wait for the slow moving snarl up to reduce? or hope that staying on course, the billboard was shortly going to be removed by the City Councils and the road will be clear? Actually that is what happened! by the time we got to our destination, the highway was clear.

One thing that came to my mind while still in traffic was, this is how often as the children of God we tend to make choices in life. As usual, we have a destiny for where we are meant to go. A purpose we are meant to fulfill in this life. A goal we are meant to achieve. A vision we are meant to make happen. A promise that God Has for us... But instead, just because the road starts looking like it's not moving because of obstacles (insert what you are facing) or adversities, we decide to take another route that we so think will help the situation. And so we start wandering through life, trying to help God to make things work faster for us. We meander and wander around life but truth be told, we are not helping anything!

I looked up the word wander and  this is how the Merriam Online dictionary defines it:-

  1.  to move around or go to different places usually without having a particular purpose or direction 
  2.   to follow a path with many turns
  3.  to go away from a path, course, etc.  
Another great definition from the free online dictionary is :-

1. To move about without a definite destination or purpose.
2. To go by an indirect route or at no set pace; amble: wander toward town.
3. To proceed in an irregular course; meander.
4. To go astray: wander from the path of righteousness.
5. To lose clarity or coherence of thought or expression.

What we ought to do is, just to be still and wait without wandering. Its one thing to wait, and another to wait while meandering. Learn to TRUST in God who know the end from the beginning. Because He makes a way where there seems to be no way. He will remove for us the obstacles if we choose to wait well... If we choose to stay on the highway!

Have you of late found yourself in a situation whereby you are TIRED of waiting? You look at happenings in your life currently and wonder where is God in this? Is there a way out? How long Lord, how long? Hold on dears... Stay on course and have faith because the road is about to be clear. (Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see) Have some hope that there is a solution because, for sure there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment